Combined security operatives launch offensive warfare against Ijaw communities in Delta

3
152
SONY DSC

The Delta state commissioner of police, Muhammad Mustafa, has enjoined the citizens and residents of Aruton, Ode-Ugborodo and other neighbouring communities in Warri south local government area not to be alarmed over the deployment of many security operatives in the areas.

The police boss stated this while responding to intelligence report that youths in the areas were planning to protest the presence of security operatives and gunboats in their communities.

He noted that the deployment of security operatives in the areas is a joint operation by the police, the military, and Department of State Security Services (DSS) to rid the areas of hoodlums who use them as bases for various nefarious activities which include militancy, illegal oil bunkering and oil pipeline vandalism.

While urging the youths, citizens and residents of the communities to be law abiding and not to panic over the security operation, the policd boss called on them to cooperate and avail the security operatives with useful information, as efforts are being intensified to enthrone the reign of peace and safety in the communities and the entire state.

He, however, gave a stern warning to all hoodlums, notably bunkerers, kidnappers, rapists, burglars and murderers and their ilks to steer clear of the communities and the state as a whole or else be prepared to face the full wrath of the law.

Bigpen online had earlier reported the massive deployment of security personnel who invaded the communities in a bid to flush out all illegal oil thieves, armed youths and sea pirates.

According to Bigpen, in an ensuing confrontation, one unidentified youth suspected to be a sea pirate was shot in a gun duel that lasted several hours.

The operation started first from the Madangho and Ajudiabo axis to Ogidigben where they encountered serious opposition on Saturday.

The soldiers were said to have extended their operation to the Ode-Ugborodo axis where the alleged head of the illegal bunkerer and his gang where overwhelmed by the superior fire power of the military and therefore allegedly fled into the bush and the soldiers took over the community.

Former vice-Chairman of Ugborodo community, Mr. Isaac Botosan, said they welcome the operation to rid the community of those he called miscreants, non-indigenes, oil thieves and armed youths even as he appealed to the Federal Government to keep the military men on ground until the entire Ugborodo is secured for normal habitation and genuine business.

“The military men should be stationed at Ugborodo to restore sanity until further notice. The head of the oil thieves, Mr. Omadeli and his gang has already fled. The whole of Ugborodo is now free of the miscreants and their nuisance value. Most of these youths are hired hoodlums from other community outside Ugborodo.

“In fact the one that was killed in the shootout is said to be from Ilaje axis. They were brought in to cause maximum insecurity in Ugborodo community through their illegal business and other social vices. I want the military men to remain at Ugborodo until total peace and sanity isrestored”, Botosan stated.

“Some youths were said to have attacked the boat conveying the Ologbotsere of Warri kingdom to Ugborodo on Saturday evening injuring some persons until they were over powered by the security escort team that paved way for the easy landing of the chief.”

It would be recalled that a faction of the Ugborodo youths at Escravos has pronounced themselves to be outside the domain and authority of the Itsekiri monarch recently just as Ugborodo elders and respected indigenes have denounce the youths for taking their exuberance too far and beyond acceptable limits.

 

3 COMMENTS

  1.   Areas Boys Disrupts Protest Minutes after the procession took off, it was learnt that hoodlums, better known as ‘Area Boys’ or ‘Agberos’, in an attempt to disrupt the peaceful protest, started to smash phones and cameras of protesters while journalists were harassed.   It was gathered that the hoodlums confronted the protesters in front of Med Plus on Admiralty Way and asked them to turn back towards the Admiralty Circle Toll Plaza. Unperturbed by the actions of the hoodlums, the protesters raised their voices and demanded immediate action from the police before calm was restored.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here