Gunmen attack police checkpoint, snatch two AK47 rifles, injure seargent as soldiers go on rampage

There is rising panic among the residents of Yenagoa, the Bayelsa state capital over the increased rate of crime and killings including the attack by some unknown gunmen on a police check point along the Berger fly over, carting away two assorted rifles and injuring a police sergeant.

The incident occurred few hours after two separate killings of a 27-year-old man was shot dead by some military personnel along the Biogbolo over alleged robbery of their colleague, snatching his mobile phone at gun point.

The attack on the police check point, according to security sources, occurred on Monday at about 11pm during a routine stop and search operation.

It was gathered that the policemen at attacked check point at the Popular Berger junction, which is known among commercial tricycle operators as “collection” point, we’re caught unaware.

Eyewitnesses said the policemen were dispossessed of two AK 47 rifles and one sergeant that tried to show gallantry was critically injured.

Some blamed the attack on the poor coordination of the security architecture by the plice commissioner, Mr. Aminu Saleh, and the ongoing infighting within the state police command over alleged high handedness and misapplication of security funds.

At Biogbolo community in Yenagoa, some soldiers that went on reprisal mission for their colleague robbed at gun point of his mobile phone, shot and killed a 27 years old man.

The killing, however, provoked protest and barricade of some parts of biogbolo road, at the mbiama-yenagoa expressway, declaring that they are bereaved by the death of their fellow, who was unjustly killed by soldiers around the Barath road.

The victim was later identified as Whoknowstomorrow bright, popularly called Albino, due to his facial looks.

A resident of the area, who simply identified himself as Frank, narrated that, youths were sitting at a comfortable area when suddenly the soldiers invaded and without questions, shot sporadically, killing one and leaving several others injured.

“We were just sitting at an area drinking, when suddenly we saw soldiers, before we could ask what was happening, there was a rain of bullets, some of us ran, some injured, while one of the youths was killed, one was taken into custody and later released at their headquarters at igbogene after investigations.

“What has happened is unjust, we did nothing to be fired at, we are calling on all human rights and pressure group to seek justice for the innocent victim”, frank said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *