So sad! After spending over N3billion on DLA road, Delta assembly regrets awarding contract to Deux construction firm

1
203

Members of the Delta State House of Assembly community on Works on Wednesday expressed sadness over the nature of shoddy job done by the contractor, Deux Nig. Ltd, which handled the Direct Labour Agency Road in Asaba, the Delta state capital.

The road which has been one of the busiest roads in Asaba, connecting Summit road through to the Ibusa road down to the main Ogbeogonogo market, has been a nightmare to residents and other road users for business transaction in that part of Asaba.

Evans Iwurie and his team member during the investigation committee at the state house of assembly

The construction project was awarded to Deux, a Nigerian company during the administration of former Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan, the total cost of which could not be ascertained by this medium.

However, the road has broken into bits and loaded with army of potholes, making it extremely difficult for vehicle owners to navigate through the road from one end to the other.

The road is worse during the rains when flood usually covers the road, cutting off business along the road and making vehicular movement along the road a dangerous venture.

Drivers and tricycle users usually flow in the flood when the rains and the erosion is usually thick from May to October during which the rains cover the road, making it impassable.

Walter Olatunde defending his company before the house committee

Drivers do gallop through the road as a result of the potholes which are usually covered by flood.

This makes many of the residents cry to the state government for help so as to make their business accessible to the people of Delta state.

However, despite the failure of the contractor to execute the contract and make the road available for use, the contractors on Wednesday told the house of assembly investigation committee that it has completed 80 percent of the road leaving 20 percent to be done.

The project director and co-owner of the firm, Walter Olatunde, told the committee his company left DLA road in 2014, having done 98% of drainage, 54% binding course, 38% wearing course, but deteriorated due to the heavy rains.

Olatunde who told the committee that roads are constructed to last for 10 years, said the continuous rainfall left the road submerged under heavy flood coupled with constant vehicular movement.

He agreed that DLA was the worst road in Asaba, coupled with the tough rainfall evident in the state and a major constraint of linking the drainage to a discharge point at Jesus Saves road which was completely outside of their contract scope.

Olatunde, who said his company has worked and still working in Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and other states, regretted the state of the road, adding that if the contract is re-activated, his company would not abandon the project.

But the house committee led by Evans Iwurie, representing Ethiope east in the state house of assembly, expressed sadness over the state of the road, saying: “It was one of our sadest moments when we visited the road. We said Deux can’t do this to us. We are not pleased with the state of DLA.

“Over N3billion has been spent, there have been series of interventions on the road. Road that tax payers money has been expended. The committee frowns at the job done by Deux in Asaba, we are not happy.”

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here